Getting Outside When You Can’t Go Anywhere.
Have you ever had those times when you just cannot find a moment to actually go to a park, or hiking, or somewhere–anywhere outside?
Sometimes you just need to stay around the house for a day of yard work. But you still want to find ways to make the work fun, and make the most out of being outside.
Queue the list!
Here are some ways to enjoy the outdoors…especially when you don’t want to work.
For the kids
- Let them dig and get dirty.
My daughter loves finding worms! To be honest, she never picks them up without her gardening gloves, but she has to save them…even the un-saveable.
It is heart-breaking to see her look of horror when there are too many worms that can’t be saved–like after a long rain.
The cul-de-sac looks like a murderous pit of worms. Gross.
Sorry, back to the list 🙂
- Let them try to help with the fun yard work, like digging up weeds…it’s a win-win, they get to dig and pull up stuff!
- We recently started letting my little man mow the yard..I think he liked that, until he didn’t. But at least he got a little done for me.
- Play nerf tag (with or without the darts), letting the kiddos chase me or their father is a hoot! They can’t get enough.
- Let them-carefully-throw sticks in the firepit. My kiddos love the campfire, I am not sure what it is but there is something that draws them in. Of course, safety needs to be maintained.
- If the weather is warm enough, start the sprinklers. Seriously. My kiddos LOVE sprinklers…it is like there is nothing better in the world.
- Don’t forget the refreshments…popsicles!
For the adults
- Don’t worry if things don’t go as planned. We can’t always adult!
- Let the kiddos help, they get to be with their favorite people in the world and they get to contribute.
- Now is a great time to let go of perfectionism…especially if the kiddos don’t do the best at mowing, or picking up sticks or whatever you have them help with. Are you picking up on my theme of not being a perfectionist when it comes to your kiddos?
Whatever you and your family do when you can’t go anywhere, make sure you have fun! There aren’t many days of summer in our part of the world so take advantage and live it up!
Now get out there!